We live in an information age; one characterized by an ever growing consumption of digital multimedia content. Propelled by the digital revolution, consumption of high definition video content is exponentially growing.
The professional video &broadcast industry is under immense pressure to deliver Hi-Defcontent with the least bandwidth consumption. The solution for this concern is the adoption of the right compression/decompression standard that does not compromise on the quality of the video yet can be broadcasted over a bandwidth constrained network.
Over the years, the H.264 has emerged as the as the de-facto standard for the hi-def video encoding industry. Some of the plausible reasons include,
- Multiple reference pictures
- Intra / Inter Picture prediction
- Motion compensation / estimation
- Temporal & Spatial coding techniques
- MBAFF / PicAFF
- Entropy coding – CABAC / CAVLC
- Network Abstraction Layer (NAL)